Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lake of the Ozarks, part II

Here's a picture of where we stayed. We had everything on the left. The right side where the towels are was rented out by someone else. Starting Wednesday morning, several people started getting up around 6:00 to get on the boat before too many other boats were out. I was not one of them. Barrett is a good sleeper and he'll sleep until 7 or 8:00 so I got up when he did. Later in the day, they took the tube out. They had a good time on it. Darren said the tube was so big, you couldn't really fall off of it. He got some pretty elbow burns. Here Darren is goofing off

We had not gotten Barrett in the water so I figured why get a swim diaper and swimsuit when we're on the boat. Well, it was a pretty warm day and they decided to take a dip in the lake. Needless to say, when I changed him once I got back, his diaper probably weighed 10 pounds. But, he loved the water! There were so many flies so the kids loved helping swat flies. That evening, we decided to take the boat out after dark. Some decided to get in the water, I opted not to. I'm not really sure why, it sounded like a good idea when I got in the boat...it was dark, it was the lake, I don't know how to swim. I would get in the lake when I was younger where I could touch, if I couldn't touch, I'd use a life jacket. So why in my older age would it freak me out? Who knows, maybe next time.

Thursday was our 15th wedding anniversary! I know, it's really hard to believe. We didn't do anything specifically for our anniversary but maybe we'll get a date night soon. Darren took Becca to the indoor pool and I went to the laundromat. The indoor pool had a bridge that separated the 3 foot from the 5 foot, which then went to 9 foot. So, Becca loved jumping off the bridge into the shallow end. She did it over and over and over, but she also practiced swimming. Later, we went down to a pier where you could jump off from various heights. Becca, who is not afraid of much, was jumping off everything. She was also talking or screaming every time so she would swallow a little lake water from time to time.

Hanging out on the pier By the time Barrett and I got down there, Darren was getting tired since he had been skiing, swimming, etc. For Barrett, he got back in the water. But when Darren was really tired, he handed Barrett to me who screamed. Well, that was our cue to leave; he would not have stayed on the pier without trying to jump in. All this sun and swimming and skiing caused Becca to fall asleep later on the boat as we were out seeing the sights. That evening, we got several anniversary cards and since it was the last night for Darren's brother and family, we had a nice steak dinner.

Earlier in the day, someone had found a little beach/restaurant. So, in the early evening, we took the boat out and let the kids play. They played in the sand some, but mostly played in the water. Coming home, the water was pretty rough so we didn't do much sightseeing before we turned the boat towards "home". Becca's cousin and first cousin once removed

Saturday morning, they took the boat out for one last time. We packed the car up and after lunch, headed home. The rest of the family didn't leave until Sunday morning. We were considering stopping about 15-20 minutes away where there was a strip of souvenir shops, but we were only 5 minutes away when both of the kids were asleep. Did I mention how nice it is to travel with Darren? I'm so used to traveling without him and driving the whole way, I forgot how nice and relaxing it can be. I read my book all the way home, with breaks for conversation or dinner, etc. I had it almost read by the time we arrived home. I had to finish it that night because it was such a good book. If you haven't read it, The Wednesday Letters is a great book. Because I wasn't driving all day, I had a little energy and unpacked all the kids stuff, suitcases, bags, etc. Our suitcase sat for a few days but it eventually got put away too. I could definitely enjoy a family vacation, especially with Darren along, every year. Thank you to Darren's parents for taking us on vacation with the whole family.

As an aside note. I found out this week that the doctor did not get all of the splinter out. There was a little left which got infected. They could not put stitches back in because it needed to drain. At least this is a vacation he'll never forget.

No comments: