Thursday, January 1, 2009

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Okay, you may want to skip this posting. I will put some things you may not want to read...I'm not getting really detailed, just a few details you may not want to read about my C-section.

I remember being so out of it after the C-section, not immediately but at some point rolling me down the hall into a recovery room and eventually into my room. I was vaguely aware of nurses in there sitting with me, talking and then my mom coming in the room telling me goodbye. I remember Darren coming back but am unsure when I was completely aware of what was going on around me. That was the first downside to a C-section because I couldn't spend time with Barrett right away.

That night, the nurse came in every few hours and made me breathe in and out of a tube and then cough. The second downside to a C-section is being afraid to cough, sneeze or laugh. The next morning I had to be on a liquid diet and I wasn't really that hungry anyway.

When the nurse came in and told me I needed to get out of bed and walk around. and I had to do a lot of it on my own was rough. I remember looking at my legs being so swollen from the iv and surgery...that was a beautiful sight, let me tell you. I had to get up and walk 4-6 times a day. The third downside to a C-section was getting out of bed trying not to hurt my incision.

My mom brought Becca up later in the day and she did great! She was there for about 6 hours and wasn't a problem at all....of course we brought her DVD player to help keep her occupied. The fourth downside to a C-section is your child not being able to run up and give you a big hug and having to tell them to be easy when they're snuggling with you.

Friday night, I started feeling pretty badly and walked in the middle of the night to try and relieve some of the pressure. By Saturday morning, they gave me the option of an enema and I took them up on it right away. I have never been so happy to have this lovely medical procedure done. After all was done, I felt like a brand new woman. The fifth downside to a C-section is all the gas buildup.

I was ready to go home and given the thumbs up Saturday afternoon but had to wait on Barrett's blood work to come back since he had a fever after he was born. But everything was fine and we were on our way home to greet family that had come in from Oklahoma and Texas.

The upside to a C-section is no squirt bottles! and actually feeling a little more normal quicker since the stitches are in a less sensitive area.

No comments: