Saturday, December 27, 2008

D-Day

Last week was a semi blur. It seemed there was so much to do before the baby arrived. I had something going on every night. Wednesday, I wanted to do something special with Becca before her life changed so I took her to have her nails done. She loved it! We then went down to Nashville to meet with my eye surgeon to have a test done before they could send it off to insurance for approval. We then had time to kill before my mom's plane came in, so we went to Opry Mills Mall. I was fine at first and then it got more difficult to walk so we took a break and I had a julius...love those things. I thought I was feeling better but hadn't walked far and needed to rest again. Darren took Becca to look for pajamas and a coat for me. We then went to pick up mom, went to dinner, then went to the grocery store. At midnight, we checked into the hospital. I was already dilated to a 6 so they didn't give me any medication. But a lady down the hall was progressing quickly so they called the anesthesiologist for her; while he was there, they decided to go ahead and give me an epidural as well because they thought that once my water broke, I would go quickly. My doctor came in around 7 and broke my water. I progressed slowly from there. The baby was not coming down far enough, which is exactly what happened with Becca. By 2:00, I was feeling a lot of pressure and pain. By 3 or 4, I was asking for more drugs, thinking in the back of my head, that if labor was going to be like this next time, I was done having kids...which is exactly what my husband was thinking at the time too. Even with the pain, I thought if I could just manage, he'd come soon but I still did not want a C-section. Around 5, the doctor said he was coming out forehead first and they were going to try to turn him and use the vacuum some. Unfortunately, that didn't work. So, they decided to do a C-section. I won't lie, I was upset and didn't really want one, but understood that it was best for both of us. When the doctor went in, he also found that the baby had his head turned at an angle, so when he was coming down, he got stuck. So at 6:06 p.m. Barrett Max came into this world. He weighed in at 8 pounds 6 ounces and was 20 inches long. We were happy to have a healthy baby. Big sister and Barrett

No comments: