Friday, February 13, 2009

Parenting

I heard someone say, maybe even a comedian, that you're not truly a parent until you have more than one. I can say amen to that. My wonderful first born is a terrific child, behaves well and all that jazz. But when you take away attention from her and need to help someone else, it's not always smooth sailing. Not to say she didn't have these moments before Barrett was born but we're having more of them now. She's beginning to want to do and see daddy more which is okay with me for more than one reason: it takes some of the stress off me, and I was a daddy's girl and I'd like her to be one too. However, she still hasn't let daddy do the nighttime routine of pajamas, brushing teeth and book reading, but that's time I enjoy with her.

Becca is great with Barrett. She picks out his clothes, gets his pacifier when he needs it, wants to hold him quite a bit, etc. It's just me she has issues with at times. I try not to promise to play a game with her, because just as soon as I do, it's time to feed Barrett and then she really has issues. We're still learning to adjust. I do feel for her at times and would love to figure out a routine where we can have time to do things together and do things separately, while still getting a few things done around the house. If anyone has mastered this, advice would be greatly appreciated. If I run errands in the morning, my whole day is gone and don't have time to do much the rest of the day. I think one day, things will get slightly better...maybe when they're both a little more independent???

Barrett, luckily, is a great baby. I was so worried since Becca was so good, but I got lucky twice. He's a good eater, a good sleeper, and has a good demeanor. He has already slept through the night (8-9 hours) twice. If he doesn't sleep all night, he usually only gets up once and goes right back to sleep. He's not a big crier, if he throws a fit, it lasts only minutes and it's usually because he's gassy or needs attention. The only thing is he can spit up quite a bit at times. All in all, I'm pretty lucky with my kids.

My two men

No comments: