Saturday, May 1, 2010

Getting older

There are several things that make me realize that my daughter is getting bigger. This both saddens me and makes me proud. It's simple things but it has really stuck out to me lately.

One day we were coloring a picture of someone who was holding something in one hand and had his arm around something else...I know, I have a very detailed memory. I just remember being impressed that she realized the partial hand you saw on the other side of the page was the same hand and to color it the same color. She's also doing really well staying in the lines and does a good job using different colors.

Another thing she can do now is when she hears the clock start to chime the hour, she can count to see what time it is. If it's 9:00, she'll count the roman numerals until she gets to 9 and tell me what time it is. Now, she has no idea what the roman numerals symbolize, she's just counting.

She's reading more and more of her sight words and doing a great job. The sheet has 57 words on it and she can read almost half. Her teacher said if she can read all those words before kindergarten, she'll be on top of things.

Barrett has a funny way of standing. My family said he'll either be a general or a butler....you decide. I think he might lean towards the general because he also likes to stomp his foot and talk loudly while waving his arms.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Haha, the general comment made me laugh! Good job, Becca! I'm impressed. We haven't started reading words here yet, but at least all the chapter book reading we do every night should at least give him a good foundation to start off of.