Saturday, July 3, 2010

OK

I love being able to go back home and visit. I wish I didn't live so far away that I can only visit once or twice a year, so we try to enjoy as much as possible. The drive down was better this time; we bought a dual screen DVD player so Barrett could watch too and that seemed to keep him from fussing so much...yeah for technology! We left on a Wednesday. I was feeling fine but I had no voice; that made the trip a little trickier because I couldn't talk to the kids very well, Becca had to lean up to hear me. But despite that, the trip was going great; the kids were behaving, we hadn't stopped too many times until we were about 1-2 hours out, Becca needed to potty. I figured I would fill up, potty, get something to drink, etc. We come out and I'm ready to drive off and the car won't start..great. I go inside and ask the ladies if they have jumper cables, no they don't. A man inside said he just took his out; I ask another lady outside, no. People don't seem to be too concerned or helpful. So, what am I to do in a strange town with my kids? My brain starts to do all kinds of things so I call Darren. I had forgotten that there is a loose wire on the battery that I should be able to jiggle and it will start. I finally get the hood open, jiggle it...nothing. Okay, don't panic, just try again. Second time, it starts, thank goodness. I got all turned around after that trying to find the highway, I went the wrong way, but thank goodness for technology again because my GPS pointed me in the right direction.

Barrett did well in the car but he still doesn't sleep much so Thursday, we took it easy and let him get his naps in. We actually took it easy for a few days. We spent some time at my brother's house while mom was at work. Cade and Becca are only 3 months apart so they have a big time playing together.

My sister drove up with her daughter for the weekend. Saturday morning, we had to hit Krispy Kreme where the balloon making clown is there for the kids. I wish I had taken a picture of all 3 of the kids with their balloons. Cade got a bow & arrow, Becca asked for a crown (remembering hers from last time) and Stacy asked for a cat. We then went to Siegi's (where else do you get meat?) and headed to my other brother's house for a cook-out and swimming. Phil was a little under the weather but he grilled for us anyway. I guess Bennett wasn't a big fan of the pool before but after seeing the cousins playing, he decided it wasn't a bad place to be. There was a smaller baby pool that I tried to put Barrett in and he just held on tight and fussed. I don't know what it is about a little pool, but he didn't want anything to do with it. So he just played around the pool. We had a great time hanging out with the entire fam minus my and my sister's husband. This is a picture of the cousins, minus the 2 little ones, Barrett and Pax. Sunday, we all drove to Claremore to see my oldest brother preach at a church. He was going in view of a call so it was neat to be there. It's a small church but great people. After church, they had a huge luncheon, everyone had brought food and a table full of desserts. I am trying to lose this baby weight but couldn't resist a few small pieces. He got the job and will start this weekend, July 4th and move there next week. It's only a 30-45 minute drive, so still not too far away.

Sunday evening, my friend came by to hang out for awhile. Monday, we went to lunch, in the pouring rain, to Mazzios with my sister-in-law, her 2 boys and an old friend and her soon to be adopted girl. We adults did not get much talking in with the kids needing things at different times. But it was still nice to hang out Tuesday, my mom was nice enough to watch the kids in the evening while I went to dinner with my sister-in-law and another old friend. We figured we would have more fun and actually have some conversation without the kids. It really was nice. Wednesday, we went to a place that I now can't remember the name of, with my brother and his family. It really was neat, they have places where you can pretend you're a doctor, a stylist, in a grocery store, cafe, on stage etc. They also have a play area and rock wall. Becca got a cart, went shopping to get what she wanted and took it to the counter Pretending to be a doctor At the cafe I couldn't get a good picture of it, but as soon as Barrett walks in the cafe, he "takes a bite" out of a hamburger chair. Now, he's trying an apple My fearless child didn't have too many problems climbing Barrett loved the microphone There were chairs set up so you could watch the stage, complete with costumes and a curtain. Becca was up there talking or singing or something. Barrett was sitting in the chair watching and as soon as she was done, he gets the biggest smile on his face and starts clapping; it was so cute!

We then got free pizza Thursday, we went to a Tulsa Drillers game with my brothers. My mom kept Barrett. Phil's family left a little early since they had both boys. Becca enjoyed watching the game on the grass but then kept begging to play in the children's area, so I finally agreed toward the end. Steve, Becca and I then walked around; it's a new stadium and it really is a nice place. Becca played a little more in the play area and then we went home. Friday, I met another friend for lunch. I don't always see her every time she comes in town so it was nice to catch up with her. We took Barrett home for a nap and Becca and I went to see Shrek at the movies with Court and her girl. It's the first time Becca saw a movie in 3-D and she liked it. That evening, the family came over for dinner; minus Steve's famiiy who was visiting their family and Phil who was sick. The cousins enjoyed spending a little more time together; Bennett warmed up a little to me, although now next time I come, he'll forget again.

Here is one of the favorite toys at my mom's house We drove home Saturday and got off to a late start because I was picking up a prescription for Barrett, so we stopped a lot more than normal and ended up at home at 8:00. I love spending time in OK but never seem to have enough time to see everyone I want to see or go everywhere I want to go. I don't want to be constantly on the go, mainly for my kids sake and mainly for Barrett's sake...he really needs his naps. I look forward to my next trek there and some more fun being a "tourist".

1 comment:

Annie said...

Looks like you had a great time. I'm so glad there was nothing wrong with your car!